From a tiny Cat to a massive Construct: Everyday experience of a rider

 

From a tiny Cat to a massive Construct: Everyday experience of a rider

by

Priyambda Samanta Ray (Sem I, 2023)



 

Today I want to share an incident with you all. It happened when I was returning from college to home. I ride scooty to travel. So, as I was driving home, I observed how people’s belief works while driving.  A man driving ahead of me spotted a cat crossing the street. The man was on one end of the street and the cat was already on its way to cross the street. That man mindlessly increased his vehicle's speed like it didn’t matter if the cat died or if any of its parts got crushed under his tiers. His only motive was to cross the road before the cat did. His humanity, kindness, and mind went out of the window as if he were chased by a leopard. He just passed by the cat’s face. It was so close that if it was not for the cat’s reflex, then it would have died on the spot, and its ‘’crime’’ is that he tried to cross the road before a “superstitious man”. REALLY A BIG CRIME TO COMMIT.

I really want to know how threatened a 5 - 6 ft tall man can be by a small cat crossing the road.

Now after he “saved” himself from this emergency I crossed the same road after the cat crossed the road and to my surprise, I didn’t find any cliff or anything that would hurt me as such. I am perfectly normal after that. No, I am not, how can I be normal after seeing my fellow species doing such things?

The human brain is so emersed with superstitions that if that guy had any kind of accident, he would turn all his fingers towards the cat. This also makes me wonder about a man who is alive apparently even after driving on “INDIAN ROADS” I don’t think just any random small cat crossing the road can be life-threatening right?

The groves and curves of the roads are not any less than a rollercoaster and of course, how can I forget the speed breakers? Oh, my bad! the vehicle breakers are too good for practicing driving.

Now if I think of it from the perspective of the cat. As a cat, I should be away from humans as far as possible as they are ready to take my life and then blame me for coming in “their” path. Aren’t they being too self-centered? Oh! How did I forget that they are the most self-centered beings on the planet?

I will come back with such incidents, so stay tuned…….


Click here for the PDF of this article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Respect and Disrespect: Beyond The "Trophy' Controversy

Public anthropology in practice

An Ethnographic Snapshot by Abhijit Guha