Mom, are you a 'Superhero'? - a tribute to motherhood

Mom, are you a 'Superhero'?


by

Ankita Majumder (Sem I, 2023) 

“Who is she? A mere human being or a superhuman?”


This question is not up for debate at all. Like who is “mother”. I’m sure she isn’t someone who takes care of the family while forgetting to take care of herself. I’m sure she isn’t someone who look after her child when they are ill the whole night while sacrificing her own sleep.

I’m sure she isn’t someone who knows the solutions of all your problems. I’m sure she isn’t someone who always remembers where the specific thing is kept when we shout for it. I’m sure she isn’t someone who would always scold you before tending to your wounds.

I’m sure she isn’t someone whom we all takes for granted because we know that she is going to be there for us forever. I’m sure she isn’t someone who teaches you a subject in a short period of time better than you can in your whole semester. I’m sure she doesn’t says that she isn’t hungry and gives you the extra piece of chapathi just because you said that you’re hungry.

I’m sure she doesn’t help you do the homework the last minute while beating and scolding you. I’m sure she doesn’t stays up with you till 2 am for you to complete your study. I’m sure she isn’t someone who knows all your lies and can sense it without you even trying to tell her also.

I’m sure she isn’t someone who saves you from your father’s scolding when he is angry on you for some reason. I’m sure she doesn’t encourages you to follow your dreams even if it means going against the society.

I’m sure she isn’t someone who puts others’ opinions before her own. I’m sure she isn’t someone who goes with you on your special days just to let you know that she will be there for you always. I’m sure she doesn’t pray for your and your family’s well-being while forgetting to pray for herself.

I’m sure she isn’t someone who knows you far more better than yourself.

Or does she?

This really isn’t a question up for a debate. Because mother is someone who is perfect in all the senses. Mother is someone who loves you unconditionally. Mother is someone who will always help you get back on your feet whenever you will fall down. Mother is someone who is strict as well as loving. Mother is someone who always prioritize you before herself. Mother is someone who is ready to sacrifice her everything if that means that she will be seeing you grow in life.

So after everything that she does for her child, is this question really lets you think for a few mere seconds before answering or can you give a answer right away.

“The mothers, are they mere human beings or some kind of superheroes in disguise?”

 

“When you are looking at your mother, you are looking at the purest form of love you will ever know.”

--- Charley Benetto


Click here for a PDF copy of the article

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Respect and Disrespect: Beyond The "Trophy' Controversy

Public anthropology in practice

An Ethnographic Snapshot by Abhijit Guha