Blackmagic? An unexplained experience

Blackmagic? An unexplained experience

By

Sneha Utthasini (Sem 1, 2023)




How many lights are spread around during this happy time of Durga Puja? Perhaps Millions, and we are yet to step into the upcoming Diwali the festival of lights! but behind this light there is a terrible darkness. Just as we cannot imagine where the ‘space’ ends, we cannot imagine exactly where, if at all there is, any end of this darkness is. Today it has become quite rare to see people who still believe in ghosts, ghouls or witches. How can an educated person believe these things in today’s modern world. One can always hear in their voice of disbelief! These are nothing but misconceptions developed in the minds of ‘pre-modern’ people. But if you believe that God exists, why can’t you think that Satan co-exists with God? Just as we worship God, some people worship Satan, and their means of worship is “Black magic”. Now the question may come to everyone’s mind, “Black magic? what is it? do these things happen at all or in reality? If I say, “yes”. some unscrupulous people do this to fulfil their greed. I read in the Ananda bazar newspaper, “increasing wealth by Black Magic! 3 arrested on charges of extorting money by showing animal liver”. 

https://www.anandabazar.com/india/black-magic-gang-in-tamil-nadu-used-pieces-of-liver-tongue-heart-to-lure-clients-dgtl/cid/1450694

I have also read in the Internet that people who are victims of jealousy want to harm other people in various ways. They want to take revenge and the means of harming them is often the black magic. Among the people around us, they are the one who want to give us every kinds of pain. They want to harm us and see us suffer from pain as it gives them a particular sadist pleasure and brings peace of mind.  I was shocked to read another news on the Internet, “menstrual blood forcibly taken by in-laws, girl harassed for black magic”. 

https://www.anandabazar.com/india/woman-allegedly-forced-to-give-menstrual-blood-for-black-magic-in-maharashtra-dgtl/cid/1413341

After reading this horrible news, only one question came to my mind, “Are they human? No! how can they be human? Satan can only be worshiped by people with Satanic consciousness. They are devils in human form. Some human shaped Devils do this black magic in their deadly greed to control the entire universe and sacrifice many men, women and children. As a child I heard stories of ghosts, Witches and black magic from my grandmother never thought the stories would be true or would happen to me.

 

My younger aunt was Lakshmi in her appearance and Saraswati in character. But I didn’t know what happened to her suddenly, she used to lock herself in her room for several days at that time. And sometimes at night she would go out of the house and look at the big tree in front of the House and yawn. Sometimes she used to say to everyone, “I feel like someone is calling me from afar, let me go”. Even though the people at home did not listen to these words, my uncle saw her current state and understood that “there is something wrong.” My uncle tried to convince the people of the house but no one wanted to understand. My younger aunt eventually become such that one day the family members declared her insane and she was locked in a room. Screaming in pain every night my younger aunt sacrificed herself one day by cutting off her own head. If everyone understood my aunt’s words once, then my aunt would not have had to accept such an untimely and tragic death. I don’t know whose enemy was on this innocent simple aunt of mine. So even today when I hear any incident related to black magic it is not difficult to believe that there are people who believe in it!

 

I do not know for sure about the incident which I have experienced! It must have some scientifically verifiable truth behind it, something which will forever remain unknown to me as my family members couldn’t act when there was still time! It happened years ago and the place where I live doesn’t really have the scientific temperament that one sees at the cities! May be my aunt wouldn’t have died if she was taken to a psychiatrist on time! Who knows what! However, in so far as the practices of black magic continues, in so far as there are unexplained incidents such as the one I just narrated there will be believers of the so called ‘unexplained’!

Click here for a PDF copy of the article


Ethnographic Experience

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Respect and Disrespect: Beyond The "Trophy' Controversy

Public anthropology in practice

An Ethnographic Snapshot by Abhijit Guha