Rape, potential rapists and the vulnerable women

 

Rape, potential rapists and the vulnerable women

By

Sneha Utthasini (Sem I, 2023)

It is true that crime doesn’t really have gender and age. The National Crime Records Burau survey data fetched from the Lokesabha shows that crime against women has increased during last 5 years from 8.8% in year 2007 to 9.4% during the year 2011. Currently the survey also shows that in every 16 minutes in some unknown place of India a girl is brutally raped (https://loksabhadocs.nic.in/Refinput/New_Reference_Notes/English/Crimeagainstwomen.pdf) . Fearing the social stigma attached to the incident of rape, molestation and the like many people do not even protest against this terrible injustice they face. A section of educated upwardly mobile people say, “women’s clothing nowadays is the main reason for they getting raped.” I have two things to say to people who hold this idea.

1.           A few days ago, I read in Anandabazar newspaper, “60-year-old man commits suicide after raping five-year-old child in Uttar Pradesh”.  (https://bangla.hindustantimes.com/nation-and-world/old-man-commits-suicide-after-raping-a-child-in-uttar-pradesh/amp-31696649601246.html). Not only that, after reading a news on the Internet, my mind was disturbed that there is another incident of rape of a 14-month-old child. What is this now? (https://www.anandabazar.com/west-bengal/man-convicted-for-raping-14-months-old-child-after-23-years-dgtl/cid/1362553).

“How was that 14-month-old child or that 5-year-old child dressed to provoke someone to rape them?

2.           Village girls don’t wear body revealing clothes (if it matters at all!) like city girls. They always wear so called ‘decent’ clothes, so why should any of them become victims of this heinous crime?

***

My personal experience:                         

Today I’m explaining a small incident that happened to me….

I was studying in class 9 when this incident took place. It was winter and I went to Bengali tuition class on a winter afternoon. During Indian winter, the days are shorter and the nights are longer. It becomes dark at 5:00 o’clock in the afternoon. My tuition was at 7:00 o’clock in the evening, in a village like place its pretty late in the winter. The road through which I had to return home was empty at 7:00 o’clock in the evening. My father used to come to pick me up from tuition every day but on that day my father was late. I was walking home alone through that empty alleyway. A little further, I saw four to five boys sitting on one side of the road and playing games on their phones and smoking cigarettes. At first, I thought I will not go and that I should just stand at where I was. Then I thought it might be better to walk cross them than to stand so I went ahead without standing. When the boys saw me coming towards them, they started talking among themselves. When I was crossing them, they said to me, “look at that girl! She looks like Mia Khalifa! let’s be her Johnny sins”. Hearing their words like this, my fear made my throat dry and my hands and feet was cold. They were slowly following me and making obscene comments. In my mind I was calling God and just after two minutes I saw my father coming with the car and I sighed seeing my father. When father got out of the car, I hugged my father and cried, “Dad, if you were a little late, you might not have been able to see me again”. That day I wore a long white dress and a white veil, so why did I have to face such a situation? What was wrong with my clothes? Or does a cloth matter?

Is it just the rape that should concern us? No, the number of girl trafficking is also increasing everyday. Young girls (aged 12 to 14 or 16) from many places including Sundarbans, Malda, Murshidabad are kidnapped, trafficked and forced into sex work. Now the question may arise that what can be done to eliminate them? For me, every man should develop a more informed and respectful view about women. No crime can be eradicated at once, but over the years this should reduce instead of increasing its number.

 Pic: The Rape of the Daughters of Leucippus by a 1618 painting by Peter Paul Rubens and Jan Wildens. It is displayed at the Alte Pinakothek in Munich. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Respect and Disrespect: Beyond The "Trophy' Controversy

Public anthropology in practice

An Ethnographic Snapshot by Abhijit Guha